Latest News from the Olde Colony Bakery
The latest news, updates, and photos from the bakery.
Looking for a unique gift? We love how Charleston Epicurean paired our cookies in a unique gift box. Gift boxes are a great way to send presents near and far!
Southern Greetings Gift Box
- 16 Reasons We Love Charleston Notecards
- Geechie Boy Mill Grits
- Olde Colony Bakery Key Lime Cookies
- Bulls Bay Saltworks Sea Salt
- Old Whaling Company Soap
We know it can be tough picking out a gift for loved ones during this season of giving. See our five recommendations of Olde Colony Bakery and Lowcountry favorites as a tasty gift idea. Delicious, handmade, and all natural treats are a gift that even those toughest to shop for will appreciate.
Cookie Medley – $22.99
Benne Wafer – $12.49
Benne Cheese Zinger Tin – $12.99
Key Lime Cookie Tin – $12.99
Taste of Charleston Gift Pack
1lb bag of Benne Wafers
America’s Tea Plantation box
Nana’s Carolina Praline
Charleston Benne Wafers
Most popular gift item!
5oz or 1lb Benne Wafer bag
$3.99 + $9.99
The City Market , a Cookie 4-Pack Gift
Select four 5oz bags of your choice and we’ll holiday gift wrap!
Favorite Lowcountry Gift Options
Customize your order with an assortment of Lowcountry Gift Options! Our favorites include tea from America’s Tea Plantation, Palmetto Farms cheese grits and cornbread mixes, Gullah Gourmet mixes, and more!
Days until Christmas!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Olde Colony Bakery family!
Additional Shipping Advice:
- Last day we will ship (for all shipping methods) is December 23rd. Get your post-Christmas orders in as soon as possible!
- We also recommend you pay attention to weather and the news, as severe weather can and has impacted shipping guarantees by UPS and FedEx.
- Please give us 1-2 days processing time to bake and pack your orders. We try to ship as soon as possible, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry as we attempt to bake as fast as we can for all of your important orders.
Holiday Store Hours
Annual Winter Break
Great news for those who prefer to do their holiday shopping on the weekend. We’ll be open this Saturday and all the Saturdays leading up until Christmas from 10am until 2pm.
We’re located at:
519 Wando Lane
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
For a map and driving directions, see how to find us in Mt. Pleasant!
Come say hi and shop local for the holidays. Not only do we have Olde Colony Bakery faovrites, we have Lowcountry favorites and gifts too!
Annual Winter Break
Holiday Shipping Guide
Holiday Store Hours
We’re not sure where the time flew by but it appears that the holidays are upon us at Olde Colony Bakery. We felt it coming months ago as you kept us on our toes, busy with your orders! We want to thank you for allowing us to bake your holiday treats and gifts for you!
We want to let you know about some new options in our Online Store:
Olde Colony Bakery Holiday Bread Box – $35
Gingerbread Cookies – $1.99 each
Olde Colony Bakery Traditional Fruit Cake Loaf – $9.99
Olde Colony Bakery Traditional Fruit Cake Round – $19.99
Because of limited quantities, we only allow one per order online in our 2lb round. If you need a larger size or multiple round fruit cakes, please call us at 843-216-3232 ext 222!
Charleston Tea Plantation’s American Classic Tea in 8 Flavors- $8.49
Charleston Tea Plantation’s Assorted Tea – $10.99
Palmetto Farms Cheese Grits – $4.99
Palmetto Farms Cornbread Mixes – $6.99
Not to mention, you can always stop by to see us and pick up gifts in person at our Olde Colony Bakery Gift Shop!
We are located at 519 Wando Lane, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464 and our store hours are Monday to Friday 10am to 2pm. We are open Saturdays in December from 10am to 2pm as well!
Need Something Special? We’re happy to talk to you about special orders and custom corporate gifts!
We’re happy to discuss with you options for your special gifts. Peter has a degree and decades of experience in planning catering, food services, and special orders. Plus, if you’re a company and ordering corporate gifts, if you spend $250 dollars, we’ll take 10% off your order. Please call us to discuss what you need 843-216-3232 ext 222.
We can’t wait to help you fulfill your online orders so you can spend the rest of the season enjoying the spirit of the season and quality time with loved ones. We are a small family business and take pleasure in helping you with baked treats no mater the time of year!
The Rix Family
Hello bakery friends and family. We hope you’re enjoying this quick holiday season and getting everything crossed off your list. We have some important notices to provide to help you plan the next couple weeks.
We are open Monday (16th) to Saturday (21st) from 10:00am until 2:00pm. And then we’ll be open Monday the 23rd and Tuesday the 24th from 10:00am until 12:00pm. If you need to make special pickup arrangements, please call the bakery. If we are busy helping another customer, please leave a voicemail. When you’re driving to our new location and turn onto Wando Lane, look for the bright green building!
Items Out of Stock
First, our Benne Cheese Zingers are SOLD OUT until after the holidays. People were feeling rather zesty this year and bought out all of our cookies! We can’t bake cookies fast enough so we’ll have to wait until after the new year to bake more.
And, sad news to report… due to a death in Nana’s family, Nana’s Carolina Pralines may not be available for a little while. We’re trying to locate some but we may have to substitute another candy in your order. Our thoughts are with Nana and her family during this difficult time.
Important Shipping Dates!
Last date to order for delivery by Christmas is Friday, December 20th at 8:00am.
You can still send in orders afterwards but must be received by Monday, December 23rd at 8:00am.
You can stop by to shop in the store until 2pm on Tuesday, December 24th for all you last minute shoppers.
Post-Christmas Annual Holiday Break
All orders received after Monday at 8am will be ON HOLD until we get back from our annual holiday vacation. You can still place orders from our online store and by phone for us to fulfill the week of January 6th, 2014.
The bakery will be closed for our vacation from Wednesday, December 25th until Monday, January 6th.
We will NOT ship orders until we get back. Instead we’ll be spending time with loved ones and spreading holiday cheer. Some of us will have our feet up resting our **barking dogs** from one of our busiest holidays seasons to date. But rest assured, we’ll come back rejuvenated and ready to bake in the new year.
From our family to yours, we wish you a healthy, happy, and memorable 2013 Holiday Season!
Love, The Rix and Barrett Families
In the last month we’ve already seen a steady increase in orders for our fall weddings. We’re so honored to be a part of your big day. And, we always hope we’re the easiest part of your wedding coordination. Below we’ll provide some ideas to make ordering from us easier.
Top Ten Tips from Olde Colony Bakery
- Please order at minimum, one week before you need the cookies. Between 1-2 weeks is ideal. It provides us enough time to plan and bake your cookies fresh. However, it also means you don’t need to order 3 months before. Always order items within your timeframe though, don’t be stressed by deliveries!
- We have five options for our Benne Wafers!
- Turndown Pack – 5-6 original Benne Wafers in a clear poly bag with our gold foil label. $1.00
- Standup Pack – Original Benne Wafers in a clear poly 3 ounce standup bag with our gold foil label. $2.99
- 5 ounce bag – Original Benne Wafers in a clear poly 5 ounce bag with our gold foil label. $3.99
- 1 pound bag – Original Benne Wafers in a clear poly 1 pound bag with our gold foil label. $9.99
- Bulk Bag – Prefer to bag your own favors? Buy Bennes in bulk one pound increments with no decorative bagging. $9.00 per pound.
- Yes, we can bag other cookies besides Benne Wafers in our turndown and standup packs. However, we do not have labels for them so you won’t have a label or nutritional information if you choose another cookie for that bag size.
- Other popular choices for weddings are Nana’s Pralines, Pete’s Pecan Pinchies, and Carolina Key Lime Cookies.
- Looking for a bridal discount? We’re glad to sell you our standard 5 ounce bag for you to use at your wedding at a 10% discount. To receive the discount, please call us to place your order.
- Need a custom gift basket of our treats? Just call us and we’ll discuss your ideas and see what we can do!
- Our cookies are great for dessert ideas as well. We’ve had brides put the cookies in penny jars on their dessert tables.
- Share your ideas! We love to hear how you used our products in your wedding. Send us a picture and we’ll feature you on our website.
- Need the history of the Benne Wafer for your wedding? We can help you with that! We’re in the middle of typing it up and providing it on the website also. We’re glad to share the rich history of the Benne Wafer.
- Don’t forget… Benne Wafers are good luck!
Please get your orders in for the next two weeks this week because we’ll be closed the week of the 15th to the 19th for our annual summer vacation. We look forward to time spent with family but we’ll miss all of you as well.
Also, think good thoughts because we’re getting our concrete floors fixed while we’re shut down. We hope they’re all fixed when we come back.
You’re more than welcome to get your orders in now or leave us a message for when we get back. We’ll make sure you get what you need one way or another!
Thanks and see you after the break!
When talking about buying our own building to house an expanding bakery business, we also talked about updating our website and shopping cart. We knew that our design and features were outdated. So much had advanced in website design and we wanted to be able to communicate more, add more pictures, and provide a more robust shopping cart. We also wanted to take your feedback about our online store and make the improvements you requested.
We found a shopping cart solution through a vendor that allows us to manage the design and get the settings just right. For example, we now offer:
- Saved Carts – You can add items to your cart and come back later on the same computer and your items will be waiting there to check out.
- Newsletter – You can sign up for our newsletter if you want to receive monthly news. We won’t spam you with content or send you emails every day. We’ll be too busy baking but we can send out a monthly update of what’s going on.
- Create an Account – You can now create an account to save your billing and shipping address. It can help you save time checking out.
- Email address – We make sure when you check out, you enter your email address. This enables us to notify you quickly when we are processing your order and shipping it.
- Integration with FedEx and UPS – Now when you check out, you can see the latest FedEx and UPS rates. We realize the shipping rates are still high. We ship FedEx and UPS to ensure the safety and quality of our products. We don’t want our cookies broken on the way to you! We did compare prices of FedEx to UPS to USPS for boxes and they are all relatively the same. We are going to investigate a new FedEx offering soon. We’ll see if FedEx SmartPost can be more affordable for shipping. Either way, we’re only charging you what FedEx/UPS charges and we’re commited to finding ways to bring the cost down. While we’d love to be Amazon.com, we’re just a small family business and we feel the high cost of shipping as much as you do.
- Improved Item View – Each store item has more information, easier options to select, and ability to zoom in on pictures.
- Improved Behind the Scenes – It’s what you can’t see but means the world to us. We have a lot more options to make it easier to fulfill your online orders.
- PCI Compliance! – Last but not least, the new cart is fully PCI and PA-DSS compliant. What do all those letters mean? It means your credit card information is safe with us. We take all the steps to make sure that when you trust us with your sensitive information, we keep it safe!
Still to come, we want to hire a photographer to take new (and better) pictures so you can see our delicious cookies and baked goods better. However, we’re going to wait a few weeks to take on that project because as soon as final permits are signed, we’ll be spending all our time building our stock back up.
Because of the increased baking time, we took the gift tins and gift packs off the website for a few weeks. They will be back but we want to focus our energies in the right place.
Hopefully, you like the new cart and will get used to it. However, we STILL love to hear from you on what we can do to make it easier. Chances are with the new shopping cart that we can make adjustments.
To see the new online store, head on over to – http://store.oldecolonybakery.com or just select Online Store from the top menu bar.
What do you think of the new website and shopping cart?